Students all over the world skip breakfast for a number of different reason. Maybe they are late for school, trying to lose weight, or even just trying to be healthy and think that eating less will help.
However, breakfast is so important. It is the start of an energy-filled day. Students have a better chance at getting higher grades and being more successful if they eat breakfast. Breakfast allows students to keep energy levels up until lunch, when they can then re-energize themselves.
Many studies have shown that kids who do not eat breakfast in the morning are more likely to gain weight because they look to non-healthy foods to get energy again. They start eating more processed and sugary things to make it to lunch or dinner.
In Helix High School, about 80% of students eat some sort of breakfast, but the other 20% don't eat breakfast in order to not gain weight, not having enough time, or they just don't like to eat in the morning.
Most schools have a breakfast program for kids who may have a rough home life, or if they just didn't have the time to eat at home. This program can be very good if students have the money to eat there. Some schools even have a free breakfast option.
A recent study done by NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) states that breakfast helps with alertness and concentration. They also say that students who eat breakfast closer to test time or school time have higher test results and higher school grades overall because of the effect breakfast has on their body. It also helps increase the attendance. Some studies even suggest that students who do not eat breakfast are more emotional and hard to be around because of sudden mood swings.
In Helix, the 50% of people who don't eat breakfast blame it on not having enough time. Another 20% of them say they are not hungry, and 30% are trying to watch their weight.
Even if kids eat breakfast, a majority of that breakfast tends to be sugar and carbs, which may give them energy for a short while but will not last long. Students need a healthy breakfast filled with protein, fiber, and natural sugars. Some examples are oatmeal, protein shakes, fruit and yogurt, and eggs. some cereals are low in sugar and high in fiber or protein, but there are also a lot of cereals that are straight sugar and carbs.
Students should be taught the importance of breakfast and be encouraged to prepare and eat a healthy foods. Students live in a world where sugar is becoming a drug as addictive as heroin.
Another study done by Obesity Society showed that about 1 in 7 preschoolers are obese because of the amount of sugar that they consume daily. Sugar is not only addictive like a drug, but it can contribute to many diseases such as cancer. Cancer cells feed on sugar. So the more students who know about the importance of a healthy breakfast, the more it will help them.
Breakfast can help teens and students stay more focused and healther. They are less likely to fail classes and test because of the effect that breakfast has on their body.