From the responses, Helix student’s favorite genre of movie is action. When the polls were first counted, a significant amount of people chose this genre. Maybe it is because they are so exciting and “action” packed. The other genres the students had to pick from were both horror and comedy. Action movies were favored by 58% of the respondents, comedies were preferred by 25%, and horror movies were chosen by 16%. Why do teens find action movies so great—or anyone for that matter? Maybe it’s because all the Michael Bay-inspired (a popular filmmaker known for his explosions and great action and horror films like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the Transformers series) action packed explosions and just the adrenaline rush of it all.
The second part of the survey questioned how often students watch movies. Most students (50%) said that they view movies about every week. This was closely followed by 42% of students who say they watch a movie every day. Only 8% said that they watch a movie only about every month; maybe they have better things to do.
If students are able to watch movies so often, where do they watch them? It turns out that every single student claimed to watch them at their home, instead of a movie theater or a friends’ house. Most students said that they watched them at all places, but at home was the most logical place to watch a movie for them.
Another question elicited an overwhelming response. When surveyed about how students watch movies, from choices including Netflix, at the movies, or a rental outlet like Redbox, 92% said they watched their movies from Netflix, leaving only 8% regularly using Redbox.
When the students were asked who they watched movies with, the results were almost evenly distributed. 33% of students claimed that they mainly watch movies by themselves. Watching movies with their family had the highest percentage with approximately 42%. Watching movies mainly with friends was chosen by 25% of students.
In a larger study, Facebook users took a survey concerning the same subject (with fantasy and romance genres included). The overall percentage of people preferring comedies was 14.2%, and horror with 17.8%. Action movies were liked by 18.8% of movie watchers. Though this only makes 50.8% of the survey, you can clearly see that action films still have the highest amount of votes, but comedy had fewer votes than horror in the Facebook survey.
Movies are a great way to express art in many forms, we tend to enjoy movies for multiple reasons, some of these may be the fact that we love the explosions, the fingernail-biting feeling, or the comedic vibe that these movies give off. The studies from the 12 high school students showed that maybe staying at home and turning on Netflix nowadays is what seems like a better way to spend the evenings. It also shows that teenagers, or anyone in general, have many different movie preferences.